Sunday, November 18, 2012

Riding the Bamboo Train


Last P-day we went to this place called the Bamboo Train.  It is just a typical flat bed that is made out of bamboo and then you roll down the track going fairly fast – sometimes close to 20 mph.  It was all run by what looked like a lawn mower engine.  It was pretty fun and then on our way back as we rode the bamboo train it just started to pour.  It was a pretty crazy experience.  Riding on a bamboo bed on a railroad track in the middle of Cambodia going 15 to 20 mph in the middle of rice fields and forests in the pouring rain – who else can do that?  It was pretty fun.  


I now am training Elder Chan.  He is actually from Sen Sok; I knew him while I was down there.  He is an incredible example of faith and strength.  Let’s just say that he has gone through a lot.  I am really impressed with his ability to teach.  He teaches really well, and he is a hard worker.  It is really fun to be with him, and I think we are going to get along great.  I am happy to be back with Khmae companions.  I liked being with an American for a month and a half, but I feel just fine and happy with my Khmae brothers.   


I had some fun experiences teaching him some things that seem basic to us.  He was not aware that you cannot wash black pants with white shirts.  I taught him how to start a washing machine.  Ironing might be next week.  He does not like our shower head so he has been showering Khmae style, which just involves scooping water onto your body with a bowl.
  
Driving the Bamboo Train


We saw a miracle with Malis. She told my companion that she talked to her parents and that they pretty much just told her that she can do whatever she wants as long as it makes her happy. After hearing that I started to do a little bit of celebrating, and then the next sentence I heard was that she wanted to wait to the middle of next month to be baptized. As missionaries, we want people to be baptized as they are hitting the peak of their conversion.  Often they wait too long, and they just lose that desire.  Malis has learned everything and she obviously is not perfect in her faith, but she believes and prays, and she knows that Heavenly Father has answered her prayers.


Well, I really did not know what to teach her, and I did not know what to do.  She has everything she needs.  Her husband is a good member, she has friends at church, she felt the spirit, she believes it is true, etc.  Well, we decided we were going to meet her last night and talk about eternal marriage and the temple.  We taught it and talked about how awesome the temple and eternal marriage can be, but that you must be a member and be baptized to go.  Well, at the end of the lesson she committed to being baptized next Saturday.  She is ready.  She said she will be baptized.  I do not know if the lesson on the temple helped her decision, but I feel like that might have just pushed her over the top.  So, that was a really cool part of the week.


Dog Meat

I ate dog this last week.  It was actually very bony and fatty.  Next time I will try to get only meat.  It was pretty tasty though.  They serve it with the inside of the bananas trees.  

Driving the Bamboo Train


I am really loving reading the Bible lately.  The New Testament is just awesome.  

Luke 12:4-5
 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

That is just a great verse.  Do not fear man, just fear God who can kill you and then send you to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment