Sunday, November 11, 2012

Home Alone - Cambodia Style

When you are tired, sometimes the best seat is a pile of bricks. 

We have had some interesting nights this past week.  We think there is a crazy person trying to break into our house.  First night.  It was about 10 PM when we heard what sounded like someone running full force and slamming their shoulder and body against our back door.  We all got out and were looking through the windows and doors and things like that to see the person.  By the way, our house is completely covered by fences that are very sharp except for a few weak spots.   


Well, the next night, I was woken up about 2:30 AM to what sounded like a person dropping a bowling ball on our house.  Being so tired, I went back to sleep, but then at 3:30 AM everyone woke up when a huge bang/clanking sound was heard on our house. Plus, our landlord’s dog was going crazy, which means someone was definitely in the house.  We tried to see what was happening again, but we could see no one.  There is nothing else that could be doing anything like that.  We looked at everything, but the only explanation is that someone is messing with us or trying to break in.   

Investigators' children and neighborhood children

Well, the third night we had a plan.  We went “Home Alone” on them and got a huge 20 gallon plastic water jug that was empty.  We tied string to the top of the jug and hanging it on a nail then had the string taped to the opposite end of the wall so that theoretically someone would come up to our back door and not see the string, sending the jug to the ground and waking us up.  Well, that night we all woke up hearing that huge falling bottle sound....but the bottle was still up.  The next night nothing happened.  

 P-day activity

Fast forward to this morning. Before we left to come to the city, I went out to look at things.  I found the water jug on the ground – a little ways away from where it theoretically would have fallen. BUT the string was still attached and the string was still taped to the wall being held secure.  That leaves one thing.  Someone came and picked it up from off the nail and placed it on the ground.  Well, we didn’t do it and neither did the landlord.  So, that has been the fun in BB lately.  Don’t worry we are safe.  Literally no way they could every get into the house.  Plus the district president is our neighbor, and he has already promised if there is a big problem and I call him he will come over and get the guy.  SO that has been pretty fun.


I have been thinking a lot about John 6:68.  Then Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the awords of eternal life.”  We can’t go anywhere else. 

 10 year old kids jumping off the bridge into the river to swim

I am really excited about Malis. Her husband is a member of the Church. We were able to have some really good lessons with her this last week.  I have felt the spirit so strong when we teach, and it seems like our lessons flow so well right now.  We had two moments with her that were really good.  One was Saturday night. I asked her if she believes now that God is real.  She shared a cool story that she was really worried about something at work, but she prayed and everything turned out really well. She believes that God helped her.  So I asked her,  “Do you believe that God is real?”  (Before she did not).  She said, “Yes, I believe a little bit.”  I jokingly said that if she believes a little bit that means that she believes.  I told her that if I eat a little bit of rice I still ate rice.  I thought it was funny.  Pretty much everyone there did too.   

 On Sunday, we met with Malis again, and we taught about the Holy Ghost.  I told her we feel the Holy Ghost through warm, happiness, peace, and a desire to learn about Christ.  I then felt that I needed to ask her if she ever felt like that.  She straight up said yes – that she had several experiences like that.  Our biggest problem now is that she said she wants to get baptized, but she is afraid to talk to her parents about it.  Even though her husband is a member, they still live with her mom and dad, so she is afraid to talk about it with them.  I am praying a ton for J Malis and her parents.  I feel like this is the peak of her conversion.  She needs to be baptized.  Our goal is the 15th.  She is ready as long as she solves this concern.  She needs to read her scriptures more too.  I feel lots of hope for her though.  Both times we met her this week, I felt the spirit grab my heart. 

Scariest laundry room ever. Notice the jug in the far left that is held up by a string. 

For the first time ever I was invited to sing a special music number.  Well, all the missionaries.  So we had 4 elders and 2 sisters sing in sacrament meeting.  We sang Joseph Smith’s first prayer to the tune of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.  First verse, Sisters in Khmae.  Second verse, Elders in English.  Third verse, everyone in English.  Last verse, everyone in Khame.  It was sweet.  Granted I know my voice is pretty bad, but we killed it.


Laundry Room Part 2

I have created what I call the Mee Chaa sandwich.  Mee Chaa just means fried noodles.  So, I get a pack of noodles wet and fry it, and I also fry two duck eggs.  Put that together and then stick it in between two pieces of bread.  Pretty good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment