Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Poison by Pepto Bismol and Pictures of Devi and Heng's Baptism

I feel like I am at home right now because I am sitting in an internet cafe full of little Khmae gamer boys. They yell at each other in Khmae.  Tanner would like it.  Then the littler boys, who do not know how to play and just watch the others, keep coming over to look at my screen and realize it is much less exciting.  


A while ago, we had also received a great referral for a man used to learn from the Seven Day Adventist church.  We taught Nit the whole first lesson in 4 appointments because he understands so quickly and was so interested in learning more.  He has incredibly strong faith. The only thing holding him back is that he likes to drink beer.  It is not even an addiction; it is just a social thing that he likes to do.  It's kind of frustrating because he is so awesome. It’s just like, "Why don’t you just stop?" He is good though.  Nit has so much potential.  He used to be the "village chief.”  Which sounds weird, but every village or neighborhood has one.  He was a representative for one of the parties in the last election.  Like I said he is just an awesome guy with incredibly strong faith.  He recognizes that when he gets baptized, it is a lifelong decision.  He says that he wants to be completely ready to be baptized, so that afterwards he will have no problems.  I have fasted and prayed for this man many times.  He has been so prepared by Heavenly Father.  He feels sorry for his sins, and recognizes this is the true church.  He wants to be clean from his sins and live with Heavenly Father forever.  I really hope that this week we see a miracle, and he decides he is done drinking forever so that he can be baptized.  


About a week and a half ago I had to call Sister Smedley because I was worried about Elder Hem's health.  Elder Hem had eaten 6 tablets of Pepto Bismol in a matter of minutes because he thought they were candy mom had sent me.  We were riding our bikes, and he started to tell me he didn't feel that good and that he kind of felt light headed and stuff.  He then informed me that these candies were not very good.  I informed him that we usually eat 1 of those, maybe 2, if we are very sick.  The rest of the night he was fine, but he did not feel very good.  I thought it was funny.  I could not stop laughing.  They do not even taste good. 


I told you a few weeks ago about the older investigator who said she was done learning after 6 days because she saw no benefit, but then we committed her to learning for another 2 weeks.  She is doing awesome.  We meet her almost every day, and she is willing to meet us.  She comes to church and reads the scriptures.  I can see that Holy Ghost is working with her.  She understands clearly what we teach, and I believe she is feeling different.  This next week is the 2 week mark, and I know that she will not tell us that she wants to stop learning.  If we do what we should, the Holy Ghost will enter into our lives and make us feel happier and different.  I know that personally.



You guys needs to walk though a Cambodian market, which are outside of course.  There are huge slabs of meat with the person selling them just hacking pieces off for people.  Flies are everywhere.  Live fish are just being smacked on the head and thrown into another pile.  It is seriously a sight to see. 



I feel like my prayers have really changed.  All my prayers are focused on our investigators – helping them read, feel the Spirit, understand, come to church, etc. 

Campaigning for some type of election is starting here, and there are lots of posters and signs.  I tried to teach a lesson while a speaker blared a recording to an entire neighborhood about some political party.  It was a little weird.   



Yesterday we had a really good District Conference.  The topic was families.  It was a really powerful conference, and the speakers did a great job.  The coolest thought came from the District President: The reason why Satan wants to destroy families so badly is because he will never have one.  He will never have a mom, dad, wife, kids, etc.  He feels sad about that and wants everyone to feel the same way.  That is why families are under attack.  I saw Devi and her husband, Heng, at the District Conference (who got baptized after I was transferred out of Branch 2) and some of the other members from Branch 2.  I really miss them.  There are some great members in that branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment