Monday, July 16, 2012

A Costco Outing and Pictures of Lin Zhen Miao's Baptism

So this week was a good week.  I hope I didn't sound unloving in my last email; my emotions were pretty high when I wrote it.  My feelings of sadness and frustration stem out of an extreme love for these two sisters and a complete sadness to see them miss out on all of the blessings that baptism brings.   

We met with Jiao Mei this week.  She is actually moving to her home town because she just graduated.  I have been in touch with the missionaries down there and have given them instructions to not give up on her no matter what.  We met with her one last time on Thursday.  I was so sad to see her go.  We talked how if she doesn't feel ready that is fine but to make plans to get ready and to keep studying and trying with the goal of becoming ready for baptism.   




Today, we went as a district to Costco.  It was so funny to be in something that is so similar yet is different at the same time.  In the meat section, they had sea cucumbers and squid.  My companion and I bought tortilla chips.  We are so excited; there really is nowhere else to buy tortilla chips in Taiwan except for Costco.  Mexican food is really the only food that you can't get here.  Sister Vandegrift and I then went to this sporting goods store that just opened up right by the church.  It looked so cool from the outside.  The inside just had a bunch of sporting goods equipment.  It was fun to look around though.   




We also had a really exciting thing this week.  We have started meeting with a young woman who was introduced to the gospel many years ago by her aunt but hasn't been able to get baptized until she turned 18 per an agreement with her parents.  She came up to me at church one Sunday and said that it is time for her to get baptized and that she needed to meet with us.  We, of course, were ecstatic. She is super great.  She is completely prepared and teaching her is just like a fun spiritual feast.  She might be getting baptized this week because her uncle (a member) is leaving to go out of town for a long time soon, and she wants him to baptize her, but she doesn't technically turn 18 until July.  She was supposed to ask her dad for his official permission last night so we should find out today in a little bit if it is ago.   


It has been so nice.  We met with her this week and her aunt (a member), and her aunt told us that the whole week everyone had been giving their two cents on her baptismal date.  Everyone is giving her all this pressure to be baptized earlier, but she is worried because she had already agreed with her dad to wait until she was 18.  It was so nice to not be the ones to give anyone pressure.   We were kind of like the sane ones being like, “Well, it is your decision.”  I think it is going to happen this week, but I don't want to assume anything yet.  If it doesn't, she will definitely get baptized just in a month from now.  
 


I love you all, and I know this church is true.  We should never be afraid to follow God and to follow the little promptings and warnings that the Lord puts into our hearts because the Holy Ghost truly is a still small voice of perfect mildness.  I love you all, and I know that this is God's church.  It is the most wonderful and happy thing in our lives.   



No comments:

Post a Comment