Sunday, October 23, 2011

Laughing Along - Garrett in Cambodia

Luen is really awesome.  I don't want to say that I have a favorite investigator, but I will just say I really like him.  He is the man with no knee cap who learned about Jesus Christ in 2000 and has been baptized twice already in different churches.  He came to church, and he loved it.  I asked him after Sacrament Meeting if he liked it, and he went on for a couple minutes about how he loved it, he loves God, loves Jesus, loves the Bible and Book of Mormon, etc.  

He is really funny.  Sometimes he will say something and just start laughing, and I have no choice but to laugh as well. He says he knows Vietnamese, Khmae, English and French.  The only thing that I can confirm is that he knows phrases.  He is funny though; he will try and say English words to me, but sometimes I think he get confused because he mixes in French words and then words I do not know which language they are from.  He also takes notes on everything; He is constantly writing.  He writes in a mix of Khmae, some English words, and words that I really do not know what they are.   

He is really progressing, and I really hope he continues to progress because I actually love to meet with him.  We met him yesterday, and he went on and on about how handsome I am.  We will probably teach him the Word of Wisdom this week, which I think will be hard.  I know that he drinks and smokes, so hopefully that goes well.  I really believe that he is ready to change everything.  

Luen always tells me that I have a handsome face, and when he saw me and church, he was just stunned because I looked so good.  It's kind of weird, so I pretend that I don't really understand, but I understand what he says.  Cambodians will just tell you if you are attractive.  We were starting to teach a lesson the other day and right before we started the opening prayer the mother tells me that I look really attractive/handsome today.  A little weird.  I know it is just because I have white skin, and they like American's noses.  Nonetheless, I will take the compliments.  




Language is the same as usual.  Sometimes hard, and sometimes I feel good about it.  The other day I was praying with Elder Sok for a Less Active and asked Heavenly Father to help him with his doubts.  But I said it wrong and I asked Him to help him with his girlfriend.  Elder Sok loves to tell people the story.  I feel like I always make those mistakes with one particular part member family we meet with a lot.  One incident gets brought up about when I said something wrong, then another and another.  They love it.  I cannot help it – I laugh along with them.  

I see some pretty interesting cultural stuff when we are riding our bikes.  Today I saw people burning things in the street as they stood in a circle around it.  Elder Sok said they were Chinese and that someone had died.  Cambodia has really cool Pagodas.  They are really nice and big and painted.  It is weird to literally see shacks for houses and to then see a glimmering gold pagoda next to them.  There is something else that is kind of weird.  No matter how poor you are, everyone has a TV, and even some really poor people have computers.  It’s kind of hard to get used to.  



Chanlina and James.  No miracle yet.  Chanlina has actually had to work Monday thru Friday of this week until 9 so we are not meeting her until Saturday.  Kind of a bummer, but she is really awesome.  She told us on Sunday when we met her at night that she gets home from work, showers, eats, then reads the scriptures – sometimes for multiple hours and prays.  Elder Sok actually told her she didn't need to – that she could just read for 15 minutes because she has work really early the next day.  Even though there is no miracle yet with James and his schooling, I definitely have seen a change in her.  She looks happier, and she smiles more.  She is legitimately excited and happy when she sees us.  The miracle will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment