Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seeing Miracles in Sen Sok



So this man has believed in Jesus Christ for many years.  He used to be a member of the Seventh Day Adventist church but was referred to us and now is doing really well.  He told us that when he was young all he cared about was money so that when he got older he could be happy.  But now that he is older, 52, he says he does not care.  All he wants is to prepare to meet God.  He also told us that he recognizes that he truly needs the Lord's help in everything.  When he has food, it is a gift.  When he rides his moto, he prays for safety.  He truly relies 100% on Heavenly Father.  I showed up that day to teach him about the Plan of Salvation, and he taught me.  I am really excited about this guy. 



The good investigator (what Elder Hem and I call him) is still doing well.  We were getting worried about him because he was not really reading the scriptures and coming to church for all 3 hours.  In order to help him, we planned to teach him about the importance of reading the scriptures, but much to our surprise and as an answer to many prayers, he had already read when we met him.  And he remembered everything about the chapter.  He also came to church for all 3 hours, which was a big step for him.  He always tells us that he feels really happy when he comes to church and that yesterday he learned a lot.  



Like I said before, we saw a lot of miracles this week.  Heavenly Father really answered my prayers as I completely put all of my trust in Him.  I know that I cannot do anything without him.  I feel very grateful today for what we were able to see this week.  



So obviously Sen Sok is very poor.  Well, believe it or not there are rich people in Cambodia.  There is an extremely rich international neighborhood close to Sen Sok.  It is called Grand Phnom Penh International City.  I talked to a lady from Thailand there.  Everyone there is extremely rich.  It is crazy to ride my bike  for less than 10 minutes from complete poverty to a paved road next to a personal golf course with a driving range into a lake, etc.  



We have 2 investigators who we met Saturday morning.  They told us that afternoon that they were going to cut and collect sticks and wood to sell and that they were going to do it outside of the Grand Phnom Penh.  After lunch we rode through Grand Phnom Penh to get to an area where we have an investigator.  We left the city and went outside their massive 100 foot gate.  We were riding our bikes on the road back to the other side where regular people live.  We saw our two investigators, their mom and their young brother off in the marshy field to our left.  We decided to help them.  For the next hour or so we cut down dead sticks and gathered them up so that they could then sell them.  I was sweating profusely.  It was seriously hot.  All the sticks and branches had little thorns that were not enough to be a lot of damage but definitely were not comfortable.  It was a little painful, but it was amazing to help them.  They are so poor, and it was great to help them.  We are also hoping that that will maybe build bridges with their mom who is not learning but was very grateful for our help. 



I am amazed with the examples of some of the young men and young women in our branch.  Two in particular are seriously just amazing.  There is one 21 year old whose parents are both members but now are both heavy drinkers.  Both Elder Hem and I are amazed with her faith and her resolve to continue on.  This 21 year old helps us teach all the time.  She teaches the Sunday School class at church.  All of this and her parents are living very far from the standards of the Church.   

Another young man about Tanner's age helps us all the time.  His mom is a member, but is inactive because she is offended with someone at church.  Even though he is kind of a typical 16 year old, his faith is amazing.  The fact that he will sacrifice time to help us and will still follow Jesus Christ despite not having his parents to lead him is amazing.   

First off, I am so grateful for Mom and Dad. Through their faith, patience, and teachings, I have a testimony and love the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I continually am amazed with the young members in this branch.  Their faith and desire to follow Jesus Christ is inspiring.  We do not need others to be active and to go to church. 

I have a very strong testimony of the power of prayer this week.  I know that the Lord helped me to see miracles.  I feel excited to start this next week.

3 comments:

  1. Did you receive what I wrote to you earlier today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you did so I'll write it again.
    Dear McKenzie,
    I am so delighted, impressed and proud of what you and your husband(?) are doing. This is such a huge and valuable contribution to spreading the word of Our Lord. I pray that he will support, uplift and protect you as you carryout your valuable missionary work.
    God be with you both.
    Clare(Mrs P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are those FROGS in the pan?? Yikes! (i think you need captions under your pictures)

    I love reading this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete