Sunday, April 15, 2012

Garrett's Adventures on the Road

For one of the coolest moments of the week, we biked to a neighborhood about 15-20 min bike ride from Sen Sok.  We had been working with one Lookpuu trying to get him interested.  The guy we went to find wasn’t interested, but we taught the neighbor’s wife and kids, and it was really awesome.  She committed to learning, and we told her we were going to come back the next day and meet with the husband too.  Her husband is a Moto (motorcycle) driver (he is like a moto taxi).  He sits there, someone tells him they need to go somewhere, and they hop on his moto and go somewhere in Phnom Penh.   

We were talking to his neighbor when the husband came back from work.  So we went in, and met with him.  He was awesome.  He told us he rode extra fast from Phnom Penh because his wife told him we were going to come back today.  I was super excited. We asked how much his family meant to him, and he just said that it was huge how important his family was.  He did not come to church. It might be difficult to get him to church because he has to work, but I think that the Lord will help him.  I cannot wait for this next week to meet him and his family, and I pray he becomes a really awesome investigator and will start on the road to baptism.  

 Teaching next to the animals


Sen Sok turned pretty muddy the past couple days because we had some nasty rain.  We had to stop several times to clear mud off our tires so that we could bike.  I still need to clean my shoes.  We were riding to Wut's house on a "road" or dirt path.  There was a big pile of dirt on half of the road, so I was on the left side of the road.  Then I saw a huge cow coming straight at me – one of the biggest cows I have ever seen.  It had horns.  So I slowly passed it on the left, but as I passed, it turned its head and tried to hit my body with its horns. It was pretty funny but a little scary, as I thought it was going to hit me.  

Toilet and bucket. The bucket flushes the toilet.


We  take a tuk tuk to the city every week to write our emails to our families.  It’s about 2 bucks.  It is better than riding our bikes, and we go with the whole district so it is fun.  


This week the power went off at 9:20.  We go to sleep at 9:30.  That is a problem because no AC means lots of sweat.  So I was praying, and I felt it getting hotter and hotter and my body getting sweatier and sweatier.   The power came back after 10 though.  It would have been a rough night without it.  

Garrett's kitchen

We got a referral (someone who is referred to the missionaries by someone else) who is a new investigator.  She came to Church with her friend, and she stayed for all 3 hours.  I hope this week we can get her to progress and hopefully teach the first lesson or so.  Nit came again to church.  He only came for an hour, but it was an improvement.  He loves to sing, which is cool, and he believes in Christ.  He actually read Mosiah 3 which we committed him to do, and he tried.  He does not know how to read that well, but he read most of it.  I have hope for him. Plus, we got a really awesome member help teach with us – a returned missionary (a person who served a mission) who also has a newborn baby.  So that is cool.   



A typical kitchen in Sen Sok. Rice is cooking in the pot. 

Overall the week was just better.  Unfortunately, Bourey did not come to church.  It seems at times we gain a new investigator and lose one and then gain one and lose one.  It is crazy how you can meet someone, contact them, come back, get to know them, teach them, and commit them to learn.  They are excited, and they listen, and they say yes.  Then you come back and they are not interested and are too busy to ever meet.  It can be a bummer when some days we would be excited about a new investigator, but we would lose one too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment