Sunday, November 6, 2011

McKenzie's Update and Pictures from Taiwan

Thanks so much for the Halloween package.  We were so excited, and I have Emma's pumpkin on the wall over my desk.  We have three different guanli, which is the word that they use for the security guards who sit at the desk at the apartment building. They sort the mail, etc.  Anyway, our three guanlis know that we love to get mail, and one of them especially gets so excited when there is mail for us. The other day, my companion got a little package. We came down to head out for the day, and he starts yelling, "You xin,” (“There’s mail”) and pointing at the mailbox. He has caught the spirit of missionary mail! 



I believe I told you in my past letter about our miracle where that lady asked us to sit down and talk to her after we said hello.  We met with her on Tuesday, and it was the most amazing lesson.  She is truly thirsting for the truth and is truly a prepared soul.  She had read a little bit of the introductory pamphlet we gave her about prophets.  Immediately when we sat down, she asked us about prophets.  She is just seeking for that guidance and a way to find peace in her life because right now she feels so lost.  As we were talking about gospel dispensations and how wicked people rejected the prophets she shook her head and said, "Why do people do that?!?" It was the cutest thing.  Then as we talked about the great apostasy she got very concerned and said something to the effect of, "What are we going to do?"  And then as I was recounting the Joseph Smith story and that Christ told Joseph Smith that there wasn't the fullness of the gospel on the earth, she looked at me and was like "Really, oh no."  She was very happy to hear that there has indeed been a restoration and that we do have a way to be close to God.  It was the sweetest lesson I have been in during my mission.   



This has been a great week.  Yesterday we had Elder Gong of the Quorum of the Seventy come to speak; he is on a missionary tour here.  It was such an awesome conference.  I was selected to be one of the people he interviewed, which all the other missionaries were terrified about. But I was actually hoping I would get picked.  How often do you get to be interviewed by a General Authority?  It wasn't like he was really interviewing me in an intense way.  He just asked what being a missionary: what I liked most, what was difficult, about my testimony of the Book of Mormon, etc.  Anytime we have leadership instruction it is always really inspiring and motivates me to be a better missionary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment