Sunday, August 14, 2011

Excerpts from McKenzie's Fifth Letter in the MTC

I had yet another awesome embarrassing moment this week, and this one was a big one.  When I told Elder Gibson about this incident at gym, his response was, "What is wrong with you?"  I often wonder that myself.  Again, the receiver of this embarrassing moment was my male teacher.  Why can't I do these things in front of my female teacher? It would be so much less embarrassing.  So my companions and I were in another room with our teacher practicing teaching during coaching study, which is when teachers give companionships individual attention and help them with what they need most.  I was holding my pencil in my hand, and I reached under my chair to pick up my notebook.  As I pulled my notebook up, the edge of my skirt got caught in the edge of my pencil whipping my skirt over my leg.  Yes, I indecently exposed myself at the MTC.  I really don't know why these things always happen to me.  I quickly pushed down my skirt and with a very red face apologized.  He started laughing as did my companions and I which made it less awkward than if he had just sat there looking uncomfortable like he did during the "crotch" incident.  I had a slip on so he really only saw my slip, but still.  Anyway, I continue to provide endless entertaining stories to the girls in my room.  I should write a book Ways to Embarrass Yourself at the MTC.
  
Taken the day McKenzie and Garrett were set apart as full time missionaries.

The MTC continues to be a wonderful place and the spirit is so strong here.  It is amazing how much as missionaries you learn that it is not about what you do and your abilities.  I was reading in the Doctrine and Covenants the other day where it says that all these Christ like attributes qualify you for the work, and then it says that you must knock to receive.  Only after we are obedient and only after we do everything we can do to be like Christ are we qualified for the work and worthy to knock and ask the Lord for his help.  We are taught that without the Spirit we WILL not teach.  We will not; we are commanded not to because if we teach by some other way then the Spirit, we are not teaching as representatives of Jesus Christ.  It is a huge and wonderful responsibility, and it makes me realize how much I need my Savior and my God in this process.  We listened to a talk by Elder Holland the other day in which he said that this is the Lord's work, so we will do it the Lord's way.  And in Elder Holland’s awesome, very excited way I felt the weight of that command.  This is the Lord's work and I MUST do it the Lord's way. That means exact obedience.    

No comments:

Post a Comment